Domestic violence, also known as intimate partner violence, is a pattern of behavior in which a partner or former partner tries to control thoughts, beliefs or actions, and may include physical, sexual, psychological, and/or economic abuse.
In addition to the Los Angeles LGBT Center's counseling services for survivors of domestic violence, our LGBT-domestic violence specialists, advocates and attorneys offer services for domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking survivors that include:
- Safety planning, crisis intervention and referrals to LGBT-sensitive domestic violence shelters
- Advocacy with law enforcement, criminal justice agencies, service providers, and others
- Accompanying clients to court and sexual assault treatment centers
- Preparation of restraining orders
- Immigration assistance
- Legal representation in certain cases
- Assistance in applying for compensation under California’s victim of crime program
Whether or not you use the legal system or talk to the police, it may be helpful to speak with an advocate to learn about your options.
We also offer LGBT domestic violence training, education, and consultation.
Department Phone Number: 323-993-7649
Please read our tips and recommendations for people who are:
Our services are provided by LGBT-domestic violence specialists, including certified domestic violence counselors and mental health professionals, who have been trained in LGBT-domestic violence issues. Our fees are based on a sliding scale and no one is turned away for lack of funds.